Do you shop online? If so, without spending extra money, you can help MHC keep its doors open. iGive.com is a shopping portal for many of your favorite online stores, including Amazon and eBay, and hundreds more. These merchants will give Medicine Horse a percentage of every purchase made from any of their online stores and it costs you nothing. You can still use any special deals or coupons for your purchase and you can elect to take the donation amount your purchases created as a tax deduction!
Please consider accessing your shopping through the iGive website. The process is simple. Go online and register (see steps below) at www.iGive.com then start shopping!
Signing up at iGive
- Go to the website, www.iGive.com, and select Medicine Horse Center as your cause by doing a keyword search for “medicine horse center.”
- Enter your email address, create a password, and select your donation preference.
- OPTIONAL: Install the iGive toolbar. The toolbar allows you to search for items from companies affiliated with the iGive program and also give you access to coupons.
- Make iGive your home page
- Add the iGive search engine to your browser. Each time you enter a qualified search, a penny is raised for Medicine Horse.
To ensure the safety and well-being of each client, up to three volunteers (one horse leader and two sidewalkers) are needed for each therapeutic riding participant. The number of volunteers needed for EAP/EEL sessions may vary.
Program Volunteers must:
- Be at least 16 years of age for therapeutic riding sessions
- Be at least 18 years of age for EAP/EEL sessions
- Be able to lift 50 lbs
- Be able to stand or walk outdoors for long periods of time
- Be able to jog for short distances
There will be MANDATORY BACKGROUND CHECKS for all volunteers providing direct client services.
Non-Paid Part-time Positions Available
The following positions may be supervisory, overseen by the Medicine Horse Center Volunteer Coordinator and/or the Executive Director. If you or someone you know would like to work with Medicine Horse on an ongoing basis, please contact us at (970) 533-7503.
Volunteer Coordinator – This person oversees volunteers at both our Durango and Mancos facilities and reports to the Executive Director.
Stable Care – This person could cover our current stable person on her days off and vacations in Mancos.
Trainer -Are you not good, but GREAT with horses? We are looking for someone to help us work our horses for their specific purpose (therapeutic riding, EAP/EEL) and to exercise the horses when they are not in use. Possibility to become a paid position.
Events Coordinator(s) – This can be for just one event or for all of our fundraiser events (3-5 a year).
Head Landscaper – We are looking for someone with a green thumb to help out at our headquarters in Mancos.
The Medicine Grow Project
We are currently looking for an individual or a group to head up The Medicine Grow Project. This project is in it’s “seed” phase and would be perfect for people who love to garden, and are familiar with organic growing methods and composting.
We have the place, raised beds (one is for a kids garden and one is for seniors and is wheelchair-friendly), and the manure to start the composting. We just need the hands, some skills, a little creativity and a whole lotta love! Eventually, this garden will be maintained by children, adults, and seniors as an alternative to equine therapy or if their condition precludes them from actively working with the horses.
Please contact Lynne at the Medicine Horse Center for more details about this exciting project.
Other volunteer needs
- Horse handling
- Facility Repairs/Maintenance
- Stable management
- Administrative duties
- Writing newsletters and other publications
- Grant Writing
- Special Events
- Public Relations
Click here to donate through Colorado Gives. This year Colorado Gives is offering donors the chance to schedule their gifts in advance.
Feed, supplements, animal care services, tack, office equipment, farm equipment, etc. are always in need!
We are especially in need of the following items:
- Helmets (New ASTM/SEI helmets only please!)
- Perennial plants for therapy garden and throughout the property
Please call Lynne at 970-533-7403 to discuss donations.